Retreats – what to look for before you book!
With a plethora of yoga, surf and ‘detox’ retreats now out there, it can be both time consuming and stressful to choose the right one for you, and there’s nothing worse than finding yourself on a retreat that doesn’t live up to expectations – it’s a lot of money to invest in yourself, so you want to make sure you’re getting value plus an awesome experience right?
So, what should you look out for when choosing a retreat?
Top tips to look out for when finding your next retreat:
- Accommodation – sure the pics look amazing, but that’s what good marketing can do! Ask about your specific room set up and amenities, particularly if you are booking twin share option. Shared bathrooms can be gross, let’s face it!
- Schedule – this is a big one, as many retreats oversell how much is in their schedule! Think about how much you want to do and how much the retreat is providing, how much ‘free’ time is included. What style of classes are offered, and are you ‘on-site’ for the whole time? You want value for money and a retreat should be able to tick all your boxes!
- Teachers/Trainers – most probably you are looking into a retreat that was advertised by your local studio or your fave teacher, great! Now you get 7 days of them all to yourself… or do you? Just because a retreat says it is ‘hosted’ by someone doesn’t mean they will be there the whole time or teaching every class or accessible. Ask the retreat host for the full schedule prior to booking and see how much ‘time’ is dedicated with them.
- Recommendations/WOM – check out any trip advisor or testimonials from guests that have stayed (make sure they’re legit), you can’t beat the word from those that have been there and done it!
- Hidden costs – many retreats will only provide the accommodation, classes and limited meals. So check the inclusions of the retreat first up as there’s nothing worse than having to spend a lot more once you’re there on services you felt should be included. Also make sure you factor in visas, travel insurance and extra spend money for gifts and trinkets!
And remember, your time off is precious – don’t be afraid to ask any questions you have to the retreat host to ensure you choose the right fit for your next break 🙂 Of course we can take the guess work out of this for you with one of our own retreats here at Talalla. Choose from Wellness, Surf or Yoga!
Back to Blog